Posted by: Ben on March 19th, 2013The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of the Utah Jazz.
I know its a bit early to be talking about this. There is still enough of the season left for players to have a chance to prove themselves. The end of the season is getting closer (hopefully not too close) and that means… free agency. We have 8 guys coming off the books (technically 10 but I don’t count KMurph or Raja) and its pretty likely that we will be keeping some of them. So, I give you my top FA’s that I’d resign in the order of importance/value. I’m attempting to take into consideration other FA’s that we could/should pursue and what we MIGHT be able to draft. There is certainly some flux in the order but it is more or less how I feel we should pursue each player in resigning him.
1. Mo- We need a point guard. Even if we draft someone, that rookie isn’t likely to be good enough to start. I’m also not very confident that we would be able to sign a PG that would be better than Mo, let alone cheaper. Besides, Mo likes it here and I think that says something.
2. Demarre- Hustle. Defense. Effort. Every night. Plus he’s cheap.
3. Paul- Leads the team in steals. He’s kinda like Demarre but bigger and can actually score. I’d hate to see him on another team. The problem though is: he’s undersized to play the 4 (which I feel is forgivable at times), he takes big minutes away from Favors and to a lesser extent Kanter, I’m not confident that we could (should?) resign him for less than $8m.
4. Marvin- I like this guy’s attitude. He isn’t tenacious like Demarre, but he certainly gives great effort every night (when healthy anyway).
5. Randy- One dimensional. A 3 point specialist is something we’ve sorely lacked in the past and there’s a good possibility that he’d come back anyway. I don’t feel his one dimension is consistent enough to resign him though.
6. Al- Its hard to send away our #1 scorer. But we’ve done it before… Besides, its not like he’s a great defender. I think it’d be worth it for Favors and the Kantersaurus Rex to develop.
7. Earl- Doesn’t score. Doesn’t rebound. So-so defense.
8. Jamaal- Toss up between these last 2 and for the same reasons. If they’d play for peanuts then resign them, but I’m sure we can find better.
Who would you resign?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.