Posted by: David J. Smith on September 8th, 2012The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of the Utah Jazz.
Without further ado, some random Utah Jazz thoughts on a Saturday morning.
- It is nice to continue to see some good things happen for some former Utah Jazz players. The Indiana Pacers signed former point guards Blake Ahearn (known to be a partially guaranteed contract) and cult hero Sundiata Gaines. I hope one or both of them stick with the Pacers, a team that is on the rise.
- Congratulations also to long-time Jazz staffer Scott Layden on the assistant GM position in San Antonio. Scott has made tremendous impacts on our team over the decades and he deserves any success that comes his way.
- Mike Sanders, last year’s development coach, moves up a row into the assistant coach position, while Brad Jones fills Sanders’ previous role. By all accounts, Jones is very well-respected for his attention to detail, dedication, and knowledge. Hopefully these two add to our coaching staff in positive ways.
- The Raja Bell situation needs to get sorted out, but as David Locke has mentioned, it would not be surprising to see this stretch into the season. Demand for his services seems non-existent, but the Jazz could hold on to him for now, in hopes that a trade could be made down the line. The one scenario that could change things: someone from training camp dazzles the socks off the coaching staff and front office, a la Wesley Matthews.
- Which leads to the next item: training camp roster. Assuming second-rounder Kevin Murphy is inked and while Bell is still on the roster, there would be no vacancies. That might make it difficult for Dennis Lindsey and Kevin O’Connor to convince agents to send their clients to Utah next month. A few guys from the Orlando summer league impressed a bit, namely center Salah Mejri and Michael Stockton. Unfortunately, I believe both have contracts overseas. Any free agents that intrigue you?
- I will feel more comfortable once Josh Howard signs with another team. No doubts he tried hard and was a solid citizen. For me, his style just does not mesh with what we have going on here.
- Less than a month until things get started up again and I cannot wait. Go Jazz!
Follow me on Twitter: @davidjsmith1232.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.