Posted by: David J. Smith on September 17th, 2012The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of the Utah Jazz.
A few quick punches for a Monday morning:
- According to sources, small forward Josh Howard will be working out for the San Antonio Spurs today. The Spurs have long been interested in the free agent’s services, and perhaps Scott Layden, San Antonio’s new assistant GM, will help in that process. Brian T. Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune also tweeted out that Howard is interested in resigning with the Jazz, but that the unresolved Raja Bell saga is preventing that from happening. The Spurs seem to have the Midas touch, in that everything they touch turns to gold–a mere look at their roster is teeming with evidence: unheralded free agent signings (Matt Bonner, Danny Green), draft day successes (Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, Dejuan Blair), and veteran reclamation projects (Boris Diaw, Stephen Jackson). Although they have also worked out other free agents like Jason Kapono and Tracy McGrady, Howard seems to make a lot of sense for the Spurs. And if they nab him, watch him average 12 an 4 on 50% shooting. After all, it is the Spurs.
- I still cling to the hope that San Antonio (or OKC or LAL) opts to ink Tracy McGrady. That would naturally eliminate them from any second-round contention in the postseason.
- On Friday, the Jazz signed their second-round pick, shooting guard Kevin Murphy. I am just learning about him, but I cannot help but be excited for him. His enthusiasm and pinch-me-is-this-real reaction on Twitter has been fun to watch, as has been the reaction of his supporters. We’re excited to have him in the fold!
- So many Western Conference teams have had nice offseasons. Besides the obvious example of the evil Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota (adding Brandon Roy, Andrei Kirilenko, Chase Budinger, Alexey Shved, Greg Stiemsma), the Clippers (Lamar Odom, Grant Hill, Jamal Crawford, Ronny Turiaf, Willie Green, Matt Barnes, resigned Chauncey Billups), Golden State (Harrison Barnes, Jarrett Jack, Carl Landry, resigned Brandon Rush), Dallas (Chris Kaman, Elton Brand, OJ Mayo, Darren Collison, Dahntay Jones, resigned Delonte West’s finger), and New Orleans (Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson, Austin Rivers, Robin Lopez. Hakim Warrick) have all impressed me.
- Where do you think the Jazz stand (adding Mo Williams, Marvin Williams, Randy Foye, and Murphy)?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.