Posted by: Chris on June 17th, 2011The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of the Utah Jazz.
With the Jazz owning the 3rd and 12th picks in next weeks draft, many Jazz fans have kept posted on all the mock drafts the internet has to offer. But every mock draft I look at has different players going to different teams, but most have the Jazz taking Brandon Knight with the 3rd pick while the 12th pick is much more varied in opinion. So I wanted to take a look at many of the Jazz draft possibilities that could happen with our picks. But first a quick evaluation of our current team and it’s needs:
- PG: Devin Harris- Is Harris our long-term replacement to D-Will? Also, we don’t have any backup point guards currently under contract.
- SG: Raja Bell- Had an extremely disappointing season. CJ Miles- Extremely streaky. Do we pick up his option and keep him around next year?
- SF: AK47- Do we resign him? Gordon Hayward- Has said he likes playing more on the perimeter. Finished the season really strong.
- PF: Paul Millsap- Never takes a play off. He may play some 3 next year. Is he the odd man out of a clogged front court? Derrick Favors- The centerpiece of the D-Will trade. Tons of upside. Needs minutes to develop. Jeremy Evans- Early-oop machine. Fan favorite. He also needs minutes to develop.
- C: Al Jefferson- He has some of the best post moves in the league. He struggled to fit into Jerry Sloan’s system, but now will Ty Corbin change the system to make Jefferson feel more comfortable? Or is Jefferson another trade possibility? Memo Okur- Will he be able to come back from his injuries? If so, can the Jazz find playing time for him, Jefferson, Millsap, Favors and Evans? Big Fes- Big body…….ummm…..what else does he do? Oh yeah, he’s funny. He’s also not under contract for next season. Do we resign him?
So, in my assessment, it seems we need a point guard for sure (at least to back up Harris this year), we need a wing player (preferably one that can defend and/or hit 3’s), and it seems we do not need another big man to clog our front court.
So, what might happen come draft night? I won’t do in depth evaluations of all prospects, but I’ll just list what could happen. Let’s go through some possibilities:
- #3- Brandon Knight. Irving and Williams go 1 and 2 and the Jazz decide Knight is the best PG prospect left in the draft. #12- Chris Singleton. He’s considered to be the best perimeter defender in the draft, something the Jazz could use.
- #3- Brandon Knight. Once again. Same scenario. #12- Klay Thompson. A great shooter (also something the Jazz could use). Is said to be “NBA ready”.
- #3- Brandon Knight. —– #12- Alec Burks. Considered to be a great athlete that can’t shoot. Sounds kind of like a Ronnie Brewer.
- #3- Enes Kanter. Kevin O’Connor has said that he drafts by talent rather than by need. Is Kanter too good to pass up? #12- Jimmer Fredette. And the ESA draft party crowd goes wild! Seriously, he can shoot the lights out and this just seems to be a match made in heaven.
- #3- Enes Kanter. —– #12- Chris Singleton
- #3- Enes Kanter. —– #12- Klay Thompson
- #3- Enes Kanter. —– #12- Alec Burks
- #3- Kemba Walker. The Jazz decide that Walker is the better prospect than Knight much like when the Jazz drafted D-Will over Chris Paul. #12- Chris Singleton
- #3- Kemba Walker. —– #12- Klay Thompson
- #3- Kemba Walker. —– #12- Alec Burks
- #3- Derrick Williams. The T-Wolves decide they like Kanter better and that leaves Williams to fall into the Jazz’s lap. Now Jazz fans hope he picks to wear #8 so they can still use their D-Will jerseys. #12- Jimmer Fredette. Many Jazz fans dream scenario.
- #3- Derrick Williams. —– #12- ????. Let’s say the Jimmer already got picked. Do the Jazz draft another wing player (assuming Williams will play the 3)? Or do they trade the pick because there aren’t many other PG’s at this stage in the draft?
- #3- Kyrie Irving. The Cavaliers decide they can get Williams with the 1st pick and still pick up a capable PG at the 4th pick in Knight or Walker. Also the T-Wolves are coming to an agreement with Ricky Rubio to finally come over meaning they don’t need another PG which means Irving is left to the Jazz. #12- Chris Singleton
- #3- Kyrie Irving. —– #12- Klay Thompson
- #3- Kyrie Irving. —– #12- Alec Burks
- #3- Jan Vesely. He is said to be comparable to Andrei Kirilenko. Could he be his replacement? #12- Jimmer Fredette.
- #3- Jan Vesely. —– #12- ????. Same situation as Williams. If Fredette isn’t available, what do we do with the pick?
- #3- Traded to Philadelphia for Andre Iguodala. ESPN’s Chad Ford said that Philadelphia really likes Kanter and would be willing to trade up and he also said Iguodala would be available. I personally love Iguodala. He’s like a mini-LeBron James. #12- Jimmer Fredette
- It’s been reported that the Jazz are open for trades, but it would take me like a bagillion years to write all of the trade possibilities. So will we trade both picks for some potential all-star? Probably not. But who know’s.
So, which scenario would you like to see go down on draft night? Or if your scenario isn’t listed, what would it be?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.