Posted by: Jazzaholic on May 17th, 2012The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of the Utah Jazz.
First of all, congratulations Kevin!
Let’s hope you and the Competition Committee can push through some much needed changes.
Here’s some items for your agenda.
- I’m not sure if all arenas are like the ESA, but season ticket holders are severely penalized, instead of being rewarded, when they attend games. At home we get to see replays from several different angles. At the game, we usually see NOTHING!!! The Jazz don’t even have to do anything special, just show the same replays they show on TV at home. Afraid of causing a riot from all the missed calls?
- Publicly list the missed calls for each referee, and the amount of the fine, after each game. Let’s get some transparency in officiating. Perhaps the star favoritism could be abolished.
- Clean up the acting, belly aching and whining after every call. Have the refs call a technical, regardless of the players star status (perhaps even more so for the stars). Every year the league starts out saying they will do it, and every year, it’s back to the same old crap!
- Stop the flopping. Excessive reactions or play acting deserves a technical. We’re tired of players flopping, then following it up with a couple of snow angels and a rendition of the ‘worm’, in order to sell the foul. Stop the acting! Levy fines after the game for the bad actors.
- Call the moving screens! Is this a completely forgotten rule?
- Start calling charges correctly. Make a player be set BEFORE the player coming in leaves his feet! Stop the jumping in front of players, moving their feet, sliding and all the other permutations of drawing a charge. Let’s have the players actually play some defense, instead of this sham.
- Consider a 4th referee. NO not on the floor! A video ref, who can review every call. Give him the authority to review and reverse any call, any time. If 2 of the 3 floor refs don’t agree, they can review it. It would probably speed up the last 2 minutes
- Kobe, and multiple others, carry the ball more than they dribble. If the league is going to eliminate dribbling the ball, then do it, otherwise call the carry and force the players to dribble.
- Traveling should be between games not during every possession. Players catch the ball and change pivot feet. Now with the King James Rule, a player can almost make it to the rim for a dunk from the 3 point line, without dribbling. After they give up their dribble, they drop the ball and act like someone hit it off their hands, so they can restart their dribble.
- A novel suggestion from JazzAdict was…Get the refs off the court completely. Give them 2 or 3 cameras/monitors, positioned to give a complete view of the their area of the court. Set it up like a video game, with slow motion, stop action, zoom etc. They could have an overhead, and a couple of views of each play. Call the fouls from a video booth. This would stop the players whining, because no ref would be on the floor. Set up the foul lanes, foul line, center court (8 sec) and sidelines (out of bounds) with a cyclops, like they have in tennis, to make the calls electronically. As it is, these short, old men can’t keep up with, or even see, the play most the time. It would also eliminate the prima donna refs, who have bigger egos than the players.
I’m sure you have your pet gripes.
The big question is, how do we get our gripes to Kevin and the Committee?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.